Exelon is a Fortune 200 company and the nation’s largest energy delivery company, serving more than 10 million customers through six fully regulated transmission and distribution utilities.
- Conducted a comprehensive national assessment of all internal communications channels, messages and processes
- Produced a report with business unit-specified findings
Exelon is a $27.4 billion energy provider that participates in every stage of the business, from generation to delivery. The company has 28,000 employees spread across seven business units. Reputation Partners was engaged by Exelon to conduct a comprehensive national assessment of all internal communications channels, messages and processes.
Our team organized the assessment into three primary channels – research, surveys and focus groups.
- Research included an evaluation of existing Exelon and business unit communications channels (examples were pulled from the last six months), interviews with lead communicators at all business units, extensive research into industry best practices in internal communications and interviews with internal communicators at best-in-class companies.
- Surveys included 21 customized surveys tailored to different employee groups (i.e., office-based leader, field-based employee, etc.). All surveys utilized a conversational tone and visual examples of actual communications.
- Focus groups were conducted at 21 offices , interviewing a total of 168 employees. Our team led each session, using example communications to elicit feedback from participants.
Upon completion of our assessment, we produced a 250-page report of our Exelon-wide and business unit-specific findings. The report included employee verbatims, expert analysis, case studies and examples from best practice companies, and recommendations for enhancing Exelon’s employee communications – organized by priority and investment. Our work was shared with Exelon’s CEO, senior leadership team and all business unit employees across the organization. As a result of our assessment, significant improvements to employee communications messages and practices are currently underway at Exelon.