Simon Property Group is an American real estate investment trust that invests in shopping malls, outlet centers, and community/lifestyle centers. It is the largest owner of shopping malls in the United States and is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Served as the company’s sole crisis agency and provided continuity across its 200+ property footprint
Reputation Partners served as the 24/7/365 crisis response agency of record for Simon Property Group (NYSE: SPG), the multi-billion-dollar real estate investment trust that operates or invests in retail properties globally. After years of relying on a multi-agency model for support, the company engaged our team in 2018 to serve as its sole crisis agency and to provide continuity to the company’s response across its more than 200 property footprint.
To ensure a cohesive approach, the team implemented the following tactics:
- Organized a comprehensive, easily accessible database of full contact information for every individual across the company’s retail footprint
- Established a full, rotating team of on-call specialists to provide crisis response and media monitoring
- Developed a clear, mutually agreed-upon crisis protocol that outlined all steps to be followed by our team, the company and the individual property teams
- Drafted initial holding statements for the most common issues faced by the company’s properties to serve as a starting point and equip the response team with pre-approved messaging
We addressed nearly every conceivable issue facing the company across its properties, including shootings, fights, carjackings, alleged rape, homicide, suicide, overdose, minor and major thefts, property damage (water leaks, power outage, fires), racial profiling, protests, customer complaints, bomb threats, active shooters, harassment and suspicious packages, among many other issues.